Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Sperm Bank

Went to the bank today.
I used to work here before.

To donate sperm. No lah.

Well, to donate blood actually.

Got incentives for blood donor.

First, I was required to fill in a consent form and declared that I should not donate blood if Iam a bisexual, homosexual, or has history of indulging in high risk behaviours.

I felt a bit guilty, because I had history of high risk exposure. I 'mingle' with HIV patients and I had history of 'sharing' needle', albeit, accidental needle prick injury. But then, I am pretty sure I am 100% negative.

The technician used a Triple bag to collect my blood. No, they don't collect three pints of blood. The whole blood collected here will be separated immediately into packed cells, fresh frozen plasma and platelet concentrate. Thus, this bag is more costly.

This bag is usually used if one thinks that the donor is 'clean'. Therefore, it is only used for regular donors who regularly had their blood screened. In those donors whose status are unknown, or doubtful, they will use a single bag.

Usually, the donor's blood is screened for VDRL, Anti-HIV, HBs Ag and Anti-HCV Ab. Those in Kelantan will have their blood additionally screened for BFMP.

Come to think of it, blood transfusion actually carries a significant high risk of transmissable disease, especially other infectious diseases not routinely screened.

No comments: