Tuesday, January 22, 2008

LCM

Recently, I have started doing some locum again, usually by covering friends who last minute couldn't make it due to personal problem. I don't usually tell other people that I do locum, but recently when I told my colleague, I was questioned on why did I downgrade myself to such a level of doing GPs' stuffs and with such lower rate? Don't I get tired of sitting in the clinic all day seeing the same kind of patients?

There are several reasons I want to do GPs locum:

1) I like helping friends in need.
2) Earn some extra money of course, but who doesn't want money when it is thrown at you?
3) Boredom of staying here.
4) Curious and adventurous, I want to experience what other people are doing in their working life, which I'd probably never be, like GP, Surgeon, Psychiatrist, etc.

For example, I didn't know that people are still using 'thermometer' to measure temperature in the clinic, and what's more, people are still using 'recycled' plastic tongue depressor!

Anyway, I have been rather selective, and I prefer doing short hours and seeing less patients. Though the rate may not be high for some people, but I find that money from 3 hour of locum could cover my one week of expenses.

Think of those days, some 15 years ago, I did some waiter job for a chicken shit of RM12 for 3 hours. I learned to value money much more.

There is one weird aspect about myself is that, I usually don't spend the money I earned from locum. There's why, my drawer has been stacking thousand of Ringgit, and some are still in the original envelopes.

I am very OCD.

2 comments:

Mediviron UOA Clinic said...

nothing shameful about doing locum.
thta's earning an honest living, not like robbing or stealing.

it's good that you're saving all the money. all the best to you!

Anonymous said...

I don't think doing locum is shamful and I don't think doing locum is "what so call as down-grading to GP jobs". There is no grading of jobs in medical field only difference is the responsibility that one have to bear.