Sunday, March 09, 2008

Aftermath of a Tsunami

What a nice sunny Sunday to start the day with. Totally quiet and calm. Totally, far true from some malicious SMSes circulating what depict the state is in chaos. Wonder why are some people really don't have better thing to do or money to spend than to spread some naughty rumours?
Even yesterday about 7.30pm, before any official results were out, news have been circulating everywhere about a major fall of the BN candidates in the state, especially the hot seats in mainland.

I received calls from a friend in mainland telling me that all the BN candidates had lost the battle including the Mr. Ex-CM in Batu Kawan. I was warned of some riot would happened and was advised to go to the supermarket to stock up all the essential items especially rice and milk powder.

Of course I did not believe her at that moment and chided her for spreading such rumours.

One friend even went to the extreme of stoking up 24 tins of baby milk powder few days before the election, typical kiasu Penangites?

As the anxiety set in, I sat in front of the TV trying to catch the latest update of the results. After watching for an hour, switching between TV1&3, I realized that these stations were totally useless in their role of disseminating information. Unfortunately, I didn't have the internet connection with me, or else I would have logged in to Malaysiakini.

On and off, I got update from my sister who was sitting in front of the computer throughout the night before been told, Malaysiakini was blocked from internet after past midnight. Even until now I have not been able to assess it.

I am still in total shock and disbelief with the unimaginable wind of change that was happening in the political scenes of Pg. People described this as some major Tsunami that swept Pg overnight and what left the Penangites still in a total daze.

Pg created history yesterday with few significant big changes:
1. DAP won all the seats they contested, and with biggest majority as well.
2. CM will be from the opposition coalition.
3. MCA and Gerakan were completely wiped out.
4. Blogger won in election.

This really come to show how Penangites in whole, particularly the Chinese, wanted a big change, a significant one that would bring opportunity, fairness and justice to all irregardless of skin color, race or religion.

While some excitement still not fading, I am thinking what would the new state government do to make Pg a better one in the next 4 years and what would the future of Pg be in view of this unexpected aftermath of political Tsunami that swept Pg clear of BN dominance.

No comments: